Paella is one of my all time favorite dishes. It is so easy to make, whether you are making it for two or twelve, plus it is as the Spanish would say, delicioso!
One of the nice things when it comes to cooking paella, is that when it comes to exact measurements, it is completely dependant on your tastebuds and how many people you are cooking for. You can add a variety of ingredients as well so let your tastebuds or even fridge, lead the way.
Here is my easy paella recipe.
- Diced peppers
- Chopped onions
- Chopped tomatoes – skin and pips removed – Soaking the tomatoes in hot water makes removing the skin easier
- Rice – by soaking it for a while will reduce the cooking time
- Chicken – cut in pieces – You can use chicken pieces, but that will increase the cooking time
- Shrimp or Prawns – cleaned
- Fish cut in pieces
- Crushed Garlic
- Lemon cut into quarters
- Chicken stock
1. Fry the onions
2. Add about two teaspoons of Tumeric and two teaspoons of Garlic and fry for a few minutes. If you want to add some spice to it, fry some sliced Chorizo sausage with the onions, turmeric and garlic. This as well as Saffron add some great flavor.
3. Add the Chicken and fry until golden
4. Add the Rice and stir until mixed thoroughly
5. Add enough Stock to cover the rice and chicken, cover and let it simmer. By replacing some stock with White Wine, it adds some nice flavor.
6. Once the rice and chicken is cooked halfway, add the Peas, Peppers and Tomatoes. Stir thoroughly, cover and simmer for a few minutes.
7. Layer the Fish and Shrimp / Prawns on top. Cover and let it steam until cooked.
8. Once cooked, place Lemon quarters on top. The heat from the pot will soften the Lemons and make squeezing easier.
Serve and enjoy!
Thanks for reading, and as always, I would love to hear from you.